Leave of Absence

Graduate students who wish to interrupt their studies through a leave of absence may do so only up to four individual or consecutive semesters. In order to obtain permission for a leave of absence, graduate students must complete a request form, which is available in the Office of the Registrar, and submit the form to their primary advisor. Students on leave of absence for more than 180 days may enter loan repayment.

Ordinarily, a student may not request a leave of absence after the tenth week of the semester. In the event of an illness or other extenuating circumstance, special consideration will be given, and students can petition the Committee on Student Success for a late leave of absence or withdrawal. Students should contact their primary academic advisor to initiate the petition.  More information can be found on the Student Policies page, listed under the Committee on Student Success. In the event that a student does not return at the time stipulated, the leave automatically becomes a withdrawal. The student must then apply for readmission to the University.